Saturday, January 8, 2011

Where There is Hate, Let me Sow Love

Now that I have one week under my belt, it's clear that these daily promises seems to be neatly falling into four categories. This is not intentional, by the way. As I've said before, I'm playing this all by ear. I have the things I'd like to do to get healthy; the stuff I do to enjoy my life with The Peanut and to help her grow; the jobs I need to do each day to keep the house clean and organized...and then there are the spiritual things that help me mentally. And believe me when I say I need all the help I can get!

I have never been a particularly religious person, although growing up I probably went to church more than anyone else in my immediate family. As a young child I would sometimes go to church with my grandmother. When I got to middle school and was living in the Catskills, the kids all seem to hang out at the CYO or the Jewish Community Center. It just happened to be that kids that lived near me were the RCs so I ended up also going to Mass and CYO dances. I went to a Catholic university, where I always went to Mass when I wasn't working, on Ash Wednesday, and for the Feast of St. Thomas Aquinas. I always enjoy the feeling I get from being at church, but I've never deeply believed. I love the stories, the lessons, the guidance, the unity. I'm just skeptical about a lot of things. I have, however, always been a deeply spiritual person. As all those that know me well will verify, I am very emotional and ever-so sensitive. I cry at the drop of a hat. Any guidance I can get to keep all my crazy feelings in line, the better. There are a variety of ways I've always done that. Mainly through reading, having creative outlets, and the biggie...talking for hours with great friends who are very intelligent. I'm analytical. I talk to myself. I pray.

Even though I have no idea what is out there...or up there, I get peace from praying. One of the prayers I adore and that makes me want to be a better person is the Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi. There are many versions. This is what I say daily:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.


O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

Today I:
checked TPP
danced with my kid to Ke$ha's We R Who We R
will go to bed with an empty kitchen sink
worked on teaching The Peanut something new. The hair was brushed. We tried to tie some shoes.
blogged
got the groceries for the monthly menu that will start on Monday
am on day three of training the kittens to use the toilet
said the Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi


No comments: