Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day One

Here I am, one that generally NEVER makes a New Year's resolution, embarking on a journey of 42 resolutions. Not exactly resolutions, per se. More like things I should be doing every day that will make my life better. The significance of 42 is nothing special, except that after 41 years of doing a lot to NOT make my life better, I thought in my 42nd year I'd try the opposite and see how that works for me.

So, in no particular order, the first thing I promise to do everyday is to check TPP. See a long time ago, way back when I was pregnant for my daughter, I was living in Korea. I did have two Canadian friends living nearby that were pregnant as well, but I really didn't know what I was supposed to be feeling, what medical care I was supposed to be getting, what changes to expect. I joined an online parenting website that had discussion groups divided into months according to when expecting women were due. After delivery the groups continued for two years. Almost eight years later, 15 of us in our original group are still connected. I adore these women and their families, not just the special seven year olds that I feel are my nieces and nephews.

The original website lost it's appeal for many of us due to content changes, and eventually two members left and started their own parenting website, The Parenting Pod. B&B have done an absolutely amazing job at creating this wonderfully welcoming place. Checking TPP everyday keeps me updated on many people I care deeply about; not just members of my original expecting group, but all the members. It's small, close-knit, and...lovely. It makes me feel connected. I love giving my advice, opinions and input. Unfortunately, with the social network age we are all in, I have found most of my Pod friends on Facebook and I have severely neglected my podding. I miss being more involved in the lives of my Pod pals, so my first of 42 promises is to check on my Pod family everyday.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Finally had a chance to come in and read. How come I'm not surprised that you are a very good writer? Love your reason for the blog's name.

Cheers!