Monday, January 3, 2011

Everything Plus the Kitchen Sink

Yesterday when I said most of these promises I'm making to myself in order to improve my life will be mental and/or physical, I went on to explain about the parental daily duties I have. Another part of my daily duties that I have thus far failed to talk about will also, inevitably, be a big part of the 42 ways to positively live my life. The reason this particular category of promises will be a big part is because a) I'm not wealthy, b) the child is too small plus it's against my own (possibly messed-up) parenting rules c) I'm the only grown-up living in this house and finally d) despite my many efforts at trying to live like a piglet, it really isn't for me...damn my mother for raising me in an immaculate house. You've guessed it!! I'm talking about the never-ending, daily chores it takes to run a household. I don't go overboard...I just try to make sure we're not sinking.

Speaking of sinks...today's promise is to make sure when I go to bed at night, the kitchen sink is empty of dirty dishes. I know, I know it seems like a given but this is kind of a big one for two main reasons; the first is I don't have a dishwasher...I am the dishwasher!!. In the winter, despite having tried every lotion available on the market, my hands get dry, cracked and washing the dishes is painful. I could use those ridiculous pink gloves but I find them uncomfortable. Usually by the end of January, I can no longer stand it and the gloves are pulled out from under the sink. The second thing is there are only two of us...one of whom right now only eats one meal a day (we'll get to that at a later date). There really aren't a lot of dishes to wash, so I do have a tendency to let them build up for two (or gasp) three days. They should be done everyday. I feel good when they are done. It's a small thing that makes me feel proud, so today's promise is to make sure there aren't any dirty dishes in the sink when I go to bed.

Today I:
checked TPP
danced with my kid to Katy Perry's  (aka my friend JAF-H) California Girls
will go to bed with an empty kitchen sink

No comments: